Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Review: Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

I started my TBR challenge with Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man simply because it was the first to arrive from the library. And I sorted of cheated. I took out the books on tape. I got my comeuppance, though—the last bloody tape was messed up! Therefore, I didn't actually get to finish the book. The last thing I remember is something about eating yams on the street.

In any event, Ellison's classic novel about the plight of the African American male in early-twentieth century America was pretty good. I didn't hate it. I didn't always understand it, but the story was fascinating enough. I'm not in a huge hurry to finish it, even though there was no closure, but eventually I'd like to find out just why he is an Invisible Man, preferably if I can get the same audio tape. Whoever it was that read the story had a lovely, deep baritone voice. I think the reason I was so captivated was because he did such an amazing job of reading the story.

No comments: