Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bathroom Reading

Let's be honest, we all read on the can. Okay, fine. If you don't want to admit it, I will. I read on the can! It's a great place to read, and here's why:
  1. Peace and Quiet.
  2. Depending on how regular you are, ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo, you can read quite a bit in a short amount of time.
  3. Saves you from reading the back of the shampoo bottle for the eight billionth time.
G, my boyfriend, owns nearly the entire Uncle John's Bathroom Readers library, and if you've ever been to a Chapters and glanced past these tomes of interesting tidbit information, you'll know that there are quite a few in the series. So I know I'm not the only one here who enjoys reading whilst enthroned, so to speak. Perhaps it's just further evidence that we're meant to be together? A couple who reads in the bathroom together stays together? Can't say we've done that yet, but who knows what's on the horizon!

Lately I've been reading A Series of Unfortunate Events sans pants. My mother bought me the series as a grad gift after I whined one day in the local Costco. That's right, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I still shop with my mom.

I'm on Book 10, The Slippery Slope, and recently came to a part that made me love this series even more.

Excerpt:
"Busheney," Sunny said, which meant something along the lines of, "You're an evil man with no concern whatsoever for other people."
"Shut up!" Count Olaf roared.
If you're unfamiliar with the series, Sunny is the youngest of the Baudelaire orphans, and a baby. Her dialogue mainly consists of made up words that are then translated into longer and often funnier sentences by Lemony Snicket.

Busheney = "an evil man with no concern whatsoever for other people". Is it a coincidence that Busheney is a pretty obvious contraction of the names Bush and Cheney? C'mon, I'm not the only one who had a chuckle over that, right?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go to the washroom.

No comments: